Shared hosting as the name implies is all about sharing the server space along with many other users of the server. The host provider who owns the server divides the space among their clients. Technology enables the provider to offer a certain level of control for the plan buyers. Though the level of control offered is limited, shared host providers offer more than what is required for someone new to begin his campaign on the internet. Shared hosting is good for small business owners where the usage of net is limited of having an address on the internet. Since it is the sharing of space, shared hosting is far cheaper than VPs hoisting and dedicated hosting. Shared hosting is also commonly called cheap hosting. Shared hosting has numerous advantages. Let us discuss them in some detail here.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
1. Shared hosting is cheap and is affordable for most individuals and small business owners who would like their presence felt on internet.
2. Like any other hosting users are provided with a control panel. Control panel facilitates creating new email ids, new databases, file management, creating new FTP access and much more.
3. Shared hosting facilitates unlimited domain hosting. The user can host any number of websites or within in his plan.
4. Unlimited disk space is provided. This will allow the user to host a number of databases and can store massive amount of data in their site.
5. Unlimited Bandwidth is offered. Bandwidth is important if you are anticipating heavy traffic for your websites of blogs. Digg and stumble effects draws massive amount of unprecedented traffic to your website. A good hosting plan can handle this situation and remain stable in such occurrences.
6. Allowed to create any number of sub domains. The search engines often consider sub domains as a separate website. From the user side a sub domain can make an entire site on its own.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
1. Shared hosting is a managed hosting and the level of control is limited. Shared hosting does not allow the user to install new software’s.
2. Unlike resellers hosting you are not allowed to split space to provide for your client's use or for your friends.
3. Though you are allowed to host unlimited domains all these domains will be having a single IP. However, this is not of much importance now days. Thanks to the advancement in technology. A search engine of today uses new technologies that allow them to consider virtual domains as single URL.
4. Not considered ideal for large businesses as the limited control might hinder the smoother operations. One cannot write off intrusion fears in shared hosting since the space is shared among a number of people and number of websites.
Though there are, few disadvantages in shared hosting the hosting providers are constantly trying to improve their technologies to beat the competition and to cater to the increasing demands from the customers. This makes shared hosting the most sought after plan among the many kinds of hosting plans. Days are not far when one witnesses the disadvantages listed even shorter.